Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Word...

“In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.” 
John 1:1

  Have you ever tried to wrap your mind around that verse? I remember memorizing it as a child and it’s phrased so melodically, that it was one of the easiest verses to learn. . But did I ever really understand what John was saying? I’m not entirely sure I do now! But when you stop and think about how many times you hear the phrase “The Word of the Lord…” in the Bible, you begin to realize – there is power in that Word! I say “begin” because there is no end to this realization. 
  • He spoke the Word and all creation came into existence (Genesis 1)  
  • He spoke the Word to Abram and a nation was created (Genesis 15)  
  • He revealed himself thru His Word (1 Sam 3)  
  • He gives correction thru His Word (1 Kings 19)  
  • He spoke the Word and cast out demons and healed the sick. (Matt. 8:16)  
  • He spoke the Word and the wind and waves stood still (Mark 4)  
  • His word brings life (John 8:51)
I did a search and discovered the phrase “the Word of the Lord” 255 times in the Bible; 242 of those were in the Old Testament. I didn’t actually read them all, but I did scan through them. Most of the instances I read were times when the Word of the Lord came to the prophets who then spoke that Word to people. Of those 255 scriptures, only 13 of them were in the New Testament. Most of those came from Jesus’ disciples teaching the Word of the Lord.

I know you are going to think I have taken a U-turn in this conversation, but just be patient with me. Pastor Alec spoke this morning about living day to day looking for “Oh my word” moments with God. That’s what really got me to thinking about this. 

Throughout my lifetime, I have had many “Oh my word” encounters with God. There were times when I thought that surely all was lost, only to have Him miraculously step in and save the day. And there have been times when I “wished” for some little thing, only to be amazed as I walk around the corner and find that “wish” granted.

But, I can’t say that I walk each day actively looking for those encounters. He gave an encouragement to live each day in such a way that “Oh my word” moments are the norm and not the surprise.

John tells us in Chapter 1, Verse 14 that “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us”. So instead of hearing “the Word of the Lord”…the Word walked side by side with them.

The Word put on humanity…The Word put on a Name…Jesus. He put on our weaknesses and discomforts. Walked on our dirty, dusty roads. Lived with our frustrations and temptations. Put up with our attitudes and bad moods. Experienced first hand rejection, humiliation, loneliness, pain, suffering, hunger, thirst, weariness...death.

Side by Side…the Word among us.
Jesus...the Word among us.
    Today....
    • The Word still speaks and calms the storms.  
    • The Word still speaks and heals the sick.  
    • The Word still speaks and reveals Himself.  
    • The Word still speaks and brings correction and directions.  
    • The Word still speaks and brings new life.  
    Kind of brings new twist on the phrase…
    "Oh My Word!”

    No comments: