Thursday, September 10, 2009

Friend.....

I got a phone call from a precious friend this afternoon. CJ and I go way back to high school days. It was an unexpected phone call. We hadn’t spoken in a while. You see, she lives in Arizona now. We grew up together in Texas, were in each others weddings, raised our first two children together. Then Mark and I moved to Washington, and she and her family moved to Mississippi then on to Arizona.
 
Carole and Doug Henehan 5.28.83
We’ve kept in contact through the years by phone, email and now facebook. I chat with her daughters on FB all the time. They are beautiful young ladies with their mother’s smile and their daddy’s eyes. And even though I haven’t seen them face to face in over eleven years, they love me like I spent every day with them. 

Anyway, I sent CJ a text message today and she called me right back. I knew she and the girls had been shopping together and I was feeling a little jealous. So I texted her and invited her for Thanksgiving. As it turns out...they have other plans. Something about Kansas City and visiting Doug's family?? Whatever...So we laughed together for a while, catching up on kids and such. 

I told her I usually had a few ladies over on Thursday evenings for prayer, but everyone had commitments for tonight so I was just gonna pray by myself. She said, “I’ll pray with you…what’s up?” 

So as I was driving along, through school zones talking on my cell phone (shhh…don’t tell anyone) I shared my heart with her. I do believe she was driving and talking on her cell phone too, though. It felt good to sit with a dear friend and just be honest and open with my thoughts. By the time I got home, I believe she was home and the two of us sat in our respective driveways and she began to pray.
What a precious moment. She reminded me...  

that God is faithful; 
that He knows exactly where we are and what we need; 
that there is no need that is too trivial for Him; 
that He’s my Father; 
that Jesus died just for me…even if I had been the only person in the world. 
As CJ prayed, I was so touched by the heart of a friend caring for another. That she would take the time out of her busy day, to listen to me and encourage me and uplift me. 

She is my friend.
I have another Friend…His name is Jesus. 
He also takes time out of His day to listen to me and encourage me and uplift me. He gave His all for me. He’s the Friend that sticks closer than a brother…or a sister. 

Thank you, CJ for being my friend….
Thank you, Jesus, for being my
Friend…..

No comments: