Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Lord Has Promised Good…


When my children were small, we memorized one scripture verse a week. I wrote them on poster board with bright colors and we posted them around the walls of their bedroom. I had a little box with “Precious Promises” in them and I would pull out a scripture that I thought was simple enough for them to memorize at five and three years of age. We started with the easy ones: Romans 3:23, Romans 8:28, John 3:16, 1 John 1:9. One day I came across Jeremiah 29:11; it was a longer verse and harder to memorize, but it was so appropriate for our lives at the time, that I taught it to them anyway.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

I'm not sure if at that young age they understood what they were saying, but I did. And every day as we repeated it over and over, it brought peace and hope to my heart. It wasn't until many years later that I "found" a couple of verses in Jeremiah 32, and it was just this week that I connected them to Jeremiah 29...

"I will make an everlasting covenant with them:
I will never stop doing good to them...
I will rejoice in doing them good."
Jeremiah 32:40, 41

This is a promise from God that, in my mind, not only clears and forges the pathway to our future and our hopes, but is built on a foundation of solid rock.

This morning as I was getting ready for the day, I heard this song playing:

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my Shield and Portion be
As long as life endures.1

Where is your hope today? Place it securely in the knowledge that God has promised to never stop doing good for you?

'Lena

1 My Chains Are Gone, Chris Tomlin


No comments: