Thursday, April 29, 2010

Are You Listening?

"He wakens me morning by morning, 
wakens my ear to listen 
like one being taught." 
Isaiah 50:4b

Spring is here and with that comes the early morning sunrise and singing birds outside my window. I am not normally a morning person; actually I am more of a night owl. But in the spring and summer, I find myself waking up earlier and earlier. I don't mind it too much. It's a beautiful, peaceful time of day...the sun peeking up over the mountains; the birds singing in the trees; all the kids are still in bed.
But all too soon, the kids wake up, there are chores to be done, errands to run, and the day takes off. And before I know it, the day is over...and I haven't heard from God.

Was He too busy to talk to me today?
Did I not need any direction today?
Or maybe I didn't listen!

Jeremiah 33:3 says, "Call to me and I will tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know". I don't know about you, but there are a great many things I do not know that I really need to know.

Decisions to make; 
Directions to take; 
Paths to walk;
Words to talk.

The New Century Version of Isaiah 50:4b says "to listen like a student."  A student is there for one purpose...to learn. And they will do whatever they need to do in order to gain insight and understanding. It requires time, commitment, patience and concentration. And a relationship with the teacher...
God is our teacher.

Each and every day, each one of us will face all kinds of crossroads. Each of us will have a great many questions that need answers. Many of us will face life changing circumstances that need divine direction. He has answers for each one of us. And not just answers to the trials we face everyday, but He has dreams and ideas and thoughts we have not even begun to imagine.

So in the morning as the sun rises over the mountains and the birds begin their early serenade; as you first open your eyes in the morning, stop for a moment and listen. The teacher is waiting for you...and He has great and unsearchable things to tell you.

Are you listening?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Lena, this is exactly where I am. The Lord has been asking me if I'm listening. Have I heard His call on my life? He is calling, but am I listening? His thoughts are not my thoughts, but He'll reveal His thoughts to me, if I just ask.... and listen.