Monday, April 19, 2010

What Are You Putting On?

Awake, awake, O Zion, clothe yourself with strength. Put on your garments of splendor,
O Jerusalem, the holy city."
Isaiah 52:1

The Bible is full of scriptures that tell us to "put on" something...righteousness, salvation, zeal and vengeance (Isaiah 59:17),  armor of light (Roman 13:12), the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:11), love (Colossians 3:14), and the new self...the image of our Creator (Colossians 3:10).

Each morning when we get up, we have to put on our clothes. They don't put themselves on us. It takes choice and action on our part. We get to look in our closets and drawers and choose what we are wearing today. We choose to brush our hair and put on makeup, brush our teeth and accessorize at will. But two things happen...

One, we activate our will...we decide what to put one.
Two, we act on our will...we take action. 

No one tells us what to wear.
No one dresses us ... 
We do it ourselves. 


In the same way, we are to decide what we will put on spiritually. Each day when we wake up, we have a choice to make...will we put on light? Or will we walk in darkness? Will we put on hope? Or will we walk in despair? Will we clothe ourselves with the armor of God? Or will we try to fight our battles in our own strength?

After we have decided what to wear, we have to put them on. It doesn't just magically happen. We have to take action. Most of this action comes out of our mouths... "I will bless the Lord. I will speak life. I will encourage others. I will walk in light. I will hope in the Lord". We were created in His image and "..every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator, with his label on it." (Colossians 3:10 msg)

 What did you decide to wear today?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

wow! I needed that. I know why I've been so cranky and irritable. I haven't been choosing to put on the armor of God, I haven't chosen happiness, I haven't made the choice to have a good day. I've decided to be angry, tired, irritable, short with people, unloving...the list goes on. What a great way to explain the daily choices God freely gives us! Thank you for that. God speaks through each thing you post:)