Monday, December 3, 2012

O Holy Night . . .


Point of Grace sings a rendition of O Holy Night that is beautiful; it is one of my favorite arrangements. I think  the soft and gentle way their voices blend lends to the depth of meaning in the words.

I was in Texas just a few weeks ago and stayed with my oldest sister, Debbi. She lives out a ways from town - seriously . . . way out from town. My brother-in-law had picked me up from the airport and we arrived at her house after the sun had set. As I got out of the car, I looked up at the dark sky and was awed! I had forgotten how visible and bright the stars are when you are standing in a Texas field. Not only could I see the big dipper and a few planets, but I could see galaxies behind the galaxies! I just stood there for a moment and stared in amazement.



O Holy night, the stars are brightly shining
It is the night of our dear Saviors birth



I wonder about the stars that shone on that night in Bethlehem so many years ago. I live in the city, so the lights often dim the intensity of the stars. But 2000 years ago there were no city lights to lessen the vividness of the stars. The Bible talks about one particular star, but can you imagine what the rest of the stars were like on that night with no smog or city lights to diminish their brilliance?

I'm reminded of an elaborate event, perhaps the climatic solo in a fine opera, or the center attraction in an arena. Actually, I picture a Charlie Brown Christmas when all the lights in the room have been darkened except the one solo spot - and out comes Linus to tell him what Christmas is really all about. It's the main event, the star attraction, the one thing the audience has been waiting for all night long.

Long lay the world, in sin and error pining
'Til He appeared and the soul felt it's worth

Jesus arrives - center stage. Just a small baby in a humble stable, lying in a manger filled with hay. But the world knew there was something different about this One. The world had been waiting, hoping, seeking . . . and He appeared and the soul knew this was what it had been waiting for. The stars shone bright on this little child. He was the main attraction . . . With no other lights to dim them, the stars glittered radiantly to illuminate this special event.

The thrill of hope
A weary world rejoices

History tells us there had been four hundred years of silence between the Old Testament prophets and the birth of Jesus. Four hundred years of spiritual darkness. But now there is hope; Messiah has come. Even though so many did not understand His arrival, there was a glimmer of hope - perhaps this is the One. The One they had all been waiting for . . .

And a weary world rejoices . . .

'Lena
"Praise Him, sun and  moon,
praise Him, all you shining stars."
Psalm 148:3

3 comments:

glenis said...

Beautiful post....touched my spirit.

glenis said...

Beautiful...really touched my heart.

Linda said...

Very nice. Loved it!