Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Thankful Heart...revisited

This is actually an edited re-post from November 20, 2009....but I think it bears repeating.

 ~~~~~~~
It's that time of year again. The weather has changed...we actually had snow flurries today; the days are shorter...I keep thinking it's bedtime at 6pm; and the fireplaces are stoked. The shopping centers are starting their "Black Friday" sales a week early and the radio stations began playing Christmas music on November 1st....

It's almost Christmas!

There is a sense of anticipation and excitement again this year. Everyone is so excited for Christmas! The neighbors down the street already have their Christmas lights up. I went the last week of October to purchase fall decorations for Thanksgiving and the stores had all them all put away and the Christmas decorations were out on the shelves.

What's the rush?
 
I love Christmas...it's one of my favorite times of the year. There is a certain stillness...a peacefulness in the lights, the aromas; and a joyfulness in the giving. But, I'm afraid that in all the excitement and preparation we forget a very important day...
Thanksgiving

The world tells us that Thanksgiving is a day for food and football.  A day for the family to gather and enjoy each others company....or get on each others nerves. A long weekend to begin shopping for Christmas. And for some, it's a couple of days to work for double time and a half. But the day was meant to be set apart to remember our blessings and be thankful.

We  have so much to be thankful for. Psalm 50 says that God does not scorn our offerings. He told His people that he accepted their offerings, but not because He needed them. He owns all the creatures of the forest, the birds of the air, and the cattle on a thousand hills...He had no need for their burnt offerings. He even said if He were hungry, He would not tell them. But this is what He wants...

“Sacrifice thank offerings to God....
 call on Me in the day of trouble; 
I will deliver you, and you will honor Me.”
Psalm 50:14,15

Remember all that He has done for you, and all that He has yet to do. For His promises are "yes" and "Amen". And He will do all that He has promised.

God has done so much for me...
~He saved me.
~He raised me when I was in the pit of depression.
~He restored my soul.
~He healed my broken heart.
~He gave me back my self-worth.
~He provided a home when we had none.
~He supplied food, when the cupboards were bare.
~He sent finances when we were in need.

God has given me...
~A wonderful husband who loves me and our children and works hard to provide for us.
~Five amazing children who love God with all their hearts, and bring such joy, laughter, love and encouragement to me each and every day.
~Two beautiful daughters-in-law who love our boys and complete them, coming along side them to encourage and support.
~Our first grandchild....Allison Lucy Ehlert.
~Friends and family who listen and support us.
~Health, strength, love, mercy, grace, joy, peace, restoration

God has promised me...
~Strength for today.
~Hope for tomorrow.
~Abundant Life
~Life Eternal
~Joy Everlasting
~And so much more!

What has He done for you? 
What has He given you? 
What has He promised you?

I do love Christmas...and I feel the same excitement and anticipation that I sense in so many others this year. But, God wants a thankful heart. So, before we get caught up in the Christmas season, take this week to offer a sacrifice offering of thankfulness and give Him...

A Thankful Heart.



No comments: