Thursday, July 3, 2014

There's something about the light...

"In Him there was life,
 and that life was a light for the people of the world."
 (John 1:4)

The past six months have been filled with so much "life". Some of it good; some of it really hard. I have often found myself in the "just keep up" mode. And the one thing I have really missed is writing. Oh, I've written a lot in the last few months, but it has all been papers and assignments for school. What I have really missed is just sitting and writing whatever the Lord speaks to me.

This week, my husband is on vacation and I discovered I had a week long break from school. I have spent the first few days just catching up and breathing. Today I decided I would try to write. When I opened up my blog, I discovered a post I wrote in December that I never posted. And while it may seem to be the wrong season, as I read over it I realized it is the right season in my life, and the life of others I have spoken to lately. So, here's my Christmas post in July.....

There's something about the lights...

Christmas usually comes with anticipation. Children are writing letters to Santa and making wish lists; parents are checking the ads and websites to fulfill those wishes. There are school Christmas programs, church Christmas concerts;

I have to admit that usually when I think about the upcoming holidays my first reaction is not one of joyful anticipation. While others are anxious to begin playing Christmas music and are out fighting the traffic and crowds to purchase Christmas presents, I begin to miss the big family holidays I remember as a kid; I start thinking about the family members that have left us and won't be here this year. I begin counting the pennies and looking at the budget to try and figure out what we can get for presents. I usually begin the season with dread . . .

And then we put up the Christmas tree; we string the lights and put up decorations. And soon I find myself getting in the spirit. We start playing the Christmas carols, watching the Christmas movies and I remember the reason...it has something to do with the lights.

All those years ago when Mary and Joseph found themselves in a stable with a newborn baby, there were others outside looking at the lights. The wise men found themselves following a star. The shepherds were out minding their sheep when the angels appeared and filled the sky with light. What they didn't know at the time was the light of the world had just been born.

Years later, Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12).

As we look all around us we can see there is darkness in our world. For some of us, we don't have to look far -there is darkness in our family.

But then we remember - there is a Light.

When God created the world, it started in darkness. And then He said, "Let there be light." He always intended for there to be light in the world. As sin entered the world so did darkness and we have been battling the darkness since then. So God sent the Light again in the form of a baby . . . Jesus, His Son. 

The hardest part of Christmas for me is taking down the lights; I love that soft, warm glow as they illuminate the room. It makes me feel safe, surrounded in peace and comfort. But then I remember, there is still a Light that illuminates my life bringing peace, comfort and joy, shining the light of His love on me and giving me the "light of life."

So now, Christmas is long over, the lights have been put away for months, and to be truthful, I have found myself battling the darkness again. I needed this reminder of what God spoke to me months ago. The Light of the world has come and  . . . 
there's just something about The Light.

Merry Christmas in July!

No comments: