Thursday, September 15, 2011

As the World Turns....

"For everything there is a season, 
and a time for every matter under heaven"
Ecclesiastes 3:1 (ESV)


Back in the early 60's a group called "The Byrds" recorded a song written by Pete Seeger called Turn, Turn, Turn based on Ecclesiastes 3. Though that was considerably before my time (well, maybe not considerably), it is a song that has endured through the years, attesting to the fact that God's Word endures forever, even when it is used in a rock and roll song. 

That song has been turning around in my head (no pun intended) today because I've arrived at another season in my life. 

The Bible talks a lot about seasons. God created the moon to mark the seasons (Psalm 104:19); the animals know the seasons and when it is time to migrate (Jeremiah 8:7); God Himself changes the times and the seasons (Daniel 2:21). And Acts 1:7 says it's not for us to know the seasons that God has appointed by His own authority. 

Seasons....
they come and they go.

As the world turns on it's axis and in doing so creates the different weather patterns of our seasons, our lives often do the same. Sometimes we are the in the springtime of our lives where we make new plans and start new adventures. 

Weddings
Birth of babies
New jobs
These are all new beginnings.

And after springtime comes summer when we begin to see the growth of the things we have planted. And after summer comes the harvest of those moments, ideas, adventures. And I think of the winter as a time to rest up and create new ideas for the spring to come. Okay....sounds kind of corny, but just be patient with me. I'm having a thought, here....

It has struck me that while each of us go through seasons in our lives, they don't always coincide with one another, nor do they follow the same time-lines. Let me explain....

My son, Mitchell is 19 years old. Last year he went away to college and while that was difficult for me to let him go, I new it was for a short "season" and he would be back in a few months. When he came home for the summer, he realized that he was moving into a different "season" in his life. This was no longer his home; no longer was this where he belonged. So after much thought, discussion and prayer, he came to the conclusion that God was calling him to move to Georgia. (NOTE: for any of you who are not aware, we live in Washington state.....that's a long way from Georgia!). 

Monday, I put Mitchell on a plane as he left behind his family and moved into a new phase, a new "season" of his life. This is his springtime where God is planting him in new soil and nurturing him so his roots will grow deep. 

However, this is my autumn...the time when I have to pull him out of his roots here at home and send him on his way. It's harvest time for me....and I'm proud of the young man he has become. I am proud of the hard work Mark and I have put into nurturing him. I am proud of the way Mitchell has allowed his roots to grow deep into God's Word and has listened to the voice of his Father. 

Mitchell's springtime
is my harvest. 

There was never any doubt in my mind that this was the right move for him. But still, when I hugged him goodbye, I put my hand on his heart and asked, "Mitchell, are you sure...right here?" And he said, "Yes, mom, this is what I have to do."

I'll be honest....it hurt. But no one ever said doing the right thing was going to be the easy thing to do. 

The next day after Mitchell got settled in to his new home in Georgia he posted as his status on Facebook...


"The Lord had said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you. I will make your name great and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you and whoever curses you I will curse; and all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you.'"
Genesis 12:1-3


He knew with a calm assurance that he was where he belonged...where God had called him to bel. I will always be Mitchell's momma, and I will always miss him when he is not nearby. But I am so grateful that we serve a God who has promised to bless him.

And not only that, but He has promised to bless those who bless Mitchell. And so to the Payne family who has taken him in and promised to love him and guide him on his way I say this....

"I have not stopped giving thanks for you, 
remembering you in my prayers."
Ephesians 1:16

Seasons come and seasons go. Whatever circumstances you find yourself in today, rest assured God is fully aware of the season you are in, for he has set the times and seasons in motion. There is a time for every purpose under heaven. And we can rest in His love, grace, mercy and faithfulness!



No comments: