Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Do You Believe It?

"And when I go and make ready a place for you, 
I will come back again and will take you to Myself, 
that where I am you may be also."
John 14:3


Today we went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It's the first time we have been out since my Mother and Aunt passed away. I thought it would help distract my mind, but it only made me ponder more deeply....

There is a scene in the movie where a little girl whose mother has been taken away says to Lucy Pevensie, "I miss my mom", to which Lucy replies, "I miss my mom, too". I can relate to that statement....

I miss my mom.....

Lucy goes on to tell the little girl that they would see her again....somehow, somewhere. This tied into my thoughts of late. You see, I have been a Christian all my life; I accepted Jesus as my Savior as a little girl. I have always believed in one God, the Father; His Son, Jesus; and the Holy Spirit....three in One. I have always believed that when we die we will go to heaven. I have always believed that  if we don't die before Jesus returns, that He indeed would return and take us to Heaven to live with Him there. 
This is what I was taught....
This is what I read in the Bible....
This I have believed....

I stood at the hospital bedside of my Mother two weeks ago today and told her it was okay....She could let go of this life...we would be alright; Daddy would be alright; it was okay for her to go on to be with Jesus. I sang a song to her that says,
 
"Someday I leave this earthly dwelling,
Through time and space my soul will soar
And finally see the face of Jesus
And praise His name forevermore."

I told her how exciting it would be to see the face of Jesus....I let her go. And she left this world.

Then I came home. And it wasn't until I was in the car Friday driving to do some mindless errand, alone with my thoughts that I wondered....will I see her again? Is she really seeing the face of Jesus? Do I really believe what I have said I believe all this time? I have never had my beliefs tested in this way. I have never had to say goodbye to someone on this side and believe that I would see them again on the other side...in heaven.

At the end of the movie, the travelers near the end of the world...Aslan's country. Lucy says, "Do you really believe there is such a place?" To which Reepicheep replies, "We have nothing if not belief!"

God knows our thoughts even before we think them. Sunday morning in our church services, there was a word spoken by one of our dear ladies. We were reminded that God is the I AM. We were reminded that there was no other way to heaven but through Him. We were asked....

Do you believe it?

The Bible tells us in the book of John  in the beginning was the Word...with God and was God. Then John tells us that God made everything...the heavens and the earth and all that dwells in them. He goes on to say that God loves us so much, that He sent His one and only Son to die in our place. To be the sacrificial Lamb for our sins. As you continue to read John, you will learn that after His death, Jesus rose again...defeated death and the grave in order that we may have life...eternally. And in John 14 it says that Jesus left to go and prepare a place for us. A place in Heaven where we will dwell with Him...eternally.

  • If I believe that God created the heavens and the earth...and I do; 
  • If I believe that He sent Jesus to die for my sins, to redeem me from death...and I do; 
  • If I believe that Jesus rose from the dead...defeated it...and I do;
  • If I believe that He ascended to Heaven and dwells at the right hand of the Father...and I do;
Then I must believe that He is preparing a place for us...that we would dwell with Him eternally. And I must believe that when Momma and Aunt Jo left this world, they entered Heaven to live with Him... eternally.

Because it's all or nothing. Either I believe all of His Word....or I believe nothing. 2 Timothy 3:16 says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..." All scripture...not just some of it. So this I believe...Yes, I will see Momma and Aunt Jo again! Yes, they really are seeing the face of Jesus!!! And yes, I really do believe what I have been taught all these years. So my question to you is...

Do you believe it?


No comments: