Thursday, October 21, 2010

Haven of Rest....


"He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven"
Psalm 107:30-31



Tuesday night in prayer meeting, Pastor was asking us how we knew we were in the Presence of God. My mind and heart began to travel as it so often does.  I began with his original question, and my first thought was, "I have known His peace in horrific, terrifying and uncertain circumstances." Remembering that peace and how I felt in those times, reminded me of an old hymn we used to sing when I was a child...


I’ve anchored my soul 
in the “Haven of Rest,”
I’ll sail the wide seas no more;
The tempest may sweep 

o'er the wild, stormy, deep,
In Jesus I’m safe evermore.



A haven is defined as "a place of safety or sanctuary; shelter, refuge." Jesus is  my refuge, my safe place. The rock that I anchor myself to when the storms of life assail. Jesus is my comfort, my support; He surrounds me and protects me. And at times, He wraps His arms around me and holds me....and lets me know that I am safe. 

How precious the thought 
that we all may recline,
Like John, the beloved so blest,
On Jesus’ strong arm, 
where no tempest can harm,
Secure in the “Haven of Rest.”
Henry L. Gilmour, pub. 1890, Public Domain   

Jesus is my Haven of Rest...

No comments: