Thursday, November 12, 2009

Light...

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light."
Isaiah 9:2
Have you ever been going along in life and felt like you were walking in the dark? Tripping over obstacles you did not see or losing your way on the path set before you?

The other night I was in the kitchen and the wind was blowing hard outside. I was standing there pouring a glass of tea when the lights went out....total darkness. I knew there was a flashlight on the counter right behind me, but I couldn't even see the counter. Just then, the lights came back on. I turned and grabbed the flashlight...just as the lights went out again. I thought to myself...there's a message here.
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." 
Psalm 119:105
It's one thing to know where the light is...but it's another to have it in hand ready to use when the lights go out. I remember listening to a message by Joseph Garlington where he said, "When God shuts one door, He opens another...but it's hell in the hallway!" I can totally relate to that, but would like to add that sometimes it's dark in the hallway...
I need a lamp for my feet and light for my path.
Often we ask God to show us the way we should go, expecting the answer to be a detailed, step-by-step plan. But, sometimes we only get a "little" illumination...just enough to see the next step, or to see the obstacles that might be in our path to trip us. We want it to be bright and sunny all the time, but sometimes we have to travel our roads in the night. Darkness surrounds us and we need a great light.
Are you walking in darkness?
Just a few days after that night when the lights went out I had to get up early and take Mark to work so I could use the car that day. As I was returning home, the sun was coming up and it was a beautiful cloudless day. I checked my email, showered, dressed, read my Bible and then went to go about my day. Suddenly I realized it was raining. I posted a note on Facebook asking, "What happened to the sun?". A friend responded back, "It's still shining above all those clouds". Another dear friend responded to that saying, "There's a devotional there".
Sometimes, even in the daytime the clouds seem to obscure the light.
Those "cloudy" days can make us feel like we are walking in darkness. Sometimes instead of clearing away the clouds, He gives us a "lamp for our feet and a light for our path". And always, under the "shadow of His wings" to give us  protection from the storms around us.
What are the clouds above you?
Fear...Depression...Confusion...Indecision...Uncertainty...
Jesus is the Light of the world. Let Him shine His light on your situation. Let Him remove the doubt and fear; the confusion and uncertainty. Let Him reveal the path before you...even if it's only one step at a time. Keep His Word before you in your heart and mind, ready to come out your mouth to defuse the darkness of any situation at any time.
Faith...Trust...relying on the light...sometimes just enough for what we need at the moment. But, light just the same.
Not only is God the creator of light, He is the...
 Light!

No comments: