Monday, October 26, 2009

Guide...

"The Lord will guide you always..." 
Isaiah 58:11  

I'm doing a Bible Study by Priscilla Shirer called "One in a Million". The section that I am going through right now talks about our wilderness.  

Have you ever found yourself in a wilderness? 

I think most of us assume that when we are in that wilderness place it's because the enemy is fighting against us, or perhaps, we have taken a wrong turn and put ourselves there. And I believe both of those are possibilities. But didn't God take the Israelites through the wilderness....on purpose?  
The easiest and most direct route from Egypt to Canaan was about a 30 day journey east, and yet God led them south. He knew they would have to face the Philistines and they were not prepared for battle. Exodus 13:17 tells us He knew they would change their minds and go back to Egypt 
Priscilla said in her book, "He often chooses a wilderness journey for us to give us an opportunity to experience Him in a way we might miss if we were in a place of ease and convenience". 
So, again...have you ever been in a wilderness? 
Who was your Guide? 
God doesn't always guide us down the path we expect - but, He does always guide us. He requires whole-hearted devotion....and trust.  
Trust...not one of my strengths. Perhaps that's why I find myself in the wilderness so many times.
 
There is so much to be learned in the wilderness. God wanted the Israelites to learn to be obedient and to test their intentions.  
What is He teaching you? 

I would never have chosen the path my life has taken the past few years. There was turmoil, hurt, loss, desperation, fear, panic...but there were moments of celebrations and rejoicing, also. You see, much like the Israelites, I had battles to fight, choices to make, lessons to learn. 
Didn't always win the battle 
Didn't always make the right choice 
But the lessons were invaluable!
  
Desperation requires we cling to a life line. My lifeline was God. I clung to Him will all my might; and with Him as my Guide, I was able to make it through my wilderness. And along the way not only did I learn much about myself, but about my God, also. 
Deuteronomy 8:2 says, "...He led you...to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart..."  
What's in your heart?
  
A lot of what was in my heart was independence, and self-reliance;  inadequacy and lack of self esteem, always looking for approval, and mistrust.  But in the wilderness, I had to... 
depend on my Guide 
be loved by my Guide 
look for approval only from my Guide 
and…TRUST my Guide. 

God positioned the Israelites to see great miracles.  I, too, have seen miracles in my wilderness.  
Healing 
Restoration 
Peace 
Comfort 
Provision 
Hope. 

I don’t now what your wilderness may be, or how long you have been there. I don’t know what your “Promised Land” is…but I do know this… 
“The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.” 
Isaiah 58:11 
Always remember, He is your… 
Guide

No comments: